Today, the Francke Foundations are a unique cultural monument with over 50 historic buildings on over 14 hectares in the middle of the city of Halle. Since the reunification of Germany, an incomparable reconstruction process has taken place here. The reconstruction of the buildings can be completed in 2021. The renovation of the streets and paths will be carried out step by step after the completion of the major renovation measures.
We are constantly striving to improve access for people with disabilities. Here you will find important informations for your visit.
With our audio guide you can intuitively visit the Historic Orphanage and the sites. When you approach an information point, the app starts automatically, describing your position and the information about your location in the school town of August Hermann Francke. The information is also displayed on the screen for reading.
Barrier-free access to the Historical Orphanage (House 1)
The Historical Orphanage is the cultural centre of the Francke Foundations.
- All floors of the house can be reached by elevator.
- The barrier-free entrance is located on the south side of the building. Unfortunately the entrance is not guarded. If you press the bell on the right, your colleagues will be happy to open the door for you.
- The balcony of the Historical Orphanage is not barrier-free.
- The barrier-free toilet is located on the exhibition floor (2nd floor next to the elevator).
Barrier-free access to the information centre, the exhibition and the foundation pastor in the Francke-Wohnhaus (house 28)
On the rear side of the Francke-Wohnhaus (house 28), is the barrier-free entrance to the building.
- All floors, including the Bible attic on the top floor, can be reached barrier-free via an elevator.
- The barrier-free toilet is located on the first floor of the building.
Barrier-free access to the family competence centre (house 19f)
The building Haus 19f is accessible via an elevator.
- All rooms of the Family Competence Centre on the top floor of the building are barrier-free.
- A barrier-free toilet is also available here.
Barrier-free access to the Historical Library/ Study Centre August Hermann Francke (House 22)
If you are visiting the Historical Library, please use the lift in the glass building of the connecting building. The colleagues in the Information Centre will inform you for this after you purchase your admission ticket.
- The barrier-free toilet is located in the cafeteria of the Study Centre on the ground floor.
barrier-free access to the English Hall (House 26)
The English Hall is located on the top floor of the English House. It is accessible via an elevator.
- The lift can be reached from Schwarzen Weg in two steps.
- Barrier-free access is only possible via the Lindenhof. For this we urge you to register in advance.
- There is no barrier-free toilet in the building.
barrier-free access to the office and the vaulted cellar (House 37)
The office of the Francke Foundations can be reached via the elevator at the back of the building.
- Please ring the bell here and we will gladly send the elevator to the ground floor.
- The vaulted cellar in building 37 can be reached barrier-free via the elevator.
- The barrier-free toilet is located in the basement of the building.
Barrier free Botanical Garden
The Botanical garden in the south of the site is barrier-free.
- High beds also enable children to participate in the garden's activities.
- Please note that the slope of the terraced garden is very steep. An accompanying person is recommended.
- The next barrier-free toilet is in house 31 (Hans Ahrbeck Haus).
Roads and access routes
When planning your visit, please bear in mind that the paths in the Francke Foundations are very narrow and often paved with a historical pavement. Despite the ongoing construction work, we always try to guarantee access.
The historical building complex of the school town august Hermann Franckes from the 18th century is accessible via the historical Lindenhof. The courtyard is partly gravel and partly cobblestone. The roots of the trees lead in places to strong unevenness in the surface. The path rises slightly to the east. Plan a little more time for your visit here. We recommend an accompanying person.
The curbs of the footpaths at Franckeplatz are not lowered at all access points. We recommend an accompanying person for support.
The kerbs of the footpaths are not lowered throughout at the crossroads. The footpath in front of house 24 is very narrow due to a staircase. The terrain rises slightly to the east. We recommend an accompanying person for your visit.
Guests with passes for the severely disabled may drive on the premises of the Francke Foundations and park their cars there. The pass must be visibly placed in the car.
Please arrange your visit in advance at the Information Centre so that access and parking runs smoothly.
The Francke Foundations endeavour to make their website accessible in accordance with national legislation transposing Directive (EU) 2016/2102 of the European Parliament and of the Council (1 ).
The Declaration on Digital Accessibility is laid down in the Disability Equality Act of the State of Saxony-Anhalt.
The implementation of accessibility was based on the current BITV (Barrierefreie-Informationstechnik-Verordnung).
This declaration on accessibility applies to the website www.francke-halle.de.
When was the accessibility statement created or updated?
Status of compatibility with requirements: 09.12.2019
The website is only partially barrier-free. The requirements of the current BITV are only partially fulfilled.
The contents listed below are not barrier-free:
- The website will not be translated into sign language. (disproportionate load)
- Not all images are barrier-free. (implementation by February 2020)
- The contact form is not barrier-free. (examination until February 2020)
- Barrier-free access via tabs will be made even more visible graphically. (implementation by March 2020)
- The offer for easy language will be completed. (implementation until July 2020)
Contact to the contact person of the public body
Dr. Kerstin Heldt
Head Communication and Events
E-Mail: oeffentlichkeit [at] francke-halle.de
Phone: +49(0)345 2127 404
Contact the National Office for Accessibility
The state of Saxony-Anhalt is setting up a state specialist office for barrier-free access at the Unfallkasse Sachsen-Anhalt in accordance with the amendment to the Saxony-Anhalt Disability Equality Act §17a.