In 1698 August Hermann Francke was granted a founding privilege for his institutions by the Brandenburg Elector Friedrich III with permission to open a bookshop. Francke gave her the name bookstore of the orphanage and made her an integral part of his multifaceted educational work.
In 1931 the bookshorp was spun off from the foundations and continued as an independent business. After an eventful history, it was incorporated into the Volksbuchhandel of the GDR in 1953. During the reunification period, Treuhand sold the bookshop, which since then has operated as a branch of Lippertschen Buchhandlung & Hallesches Antiquariat GmbH and is located at Franckeplatz 5 in the traditional bookshops of the Franckesche Stiftungen. At the end of 2019, the Francke Foundations ended their cooperation with the current store operators.
A full-range bookshop has opened at the traditional bookshop location on February 17, 2020. As a committed and reliable partner for the libraries on the premises, for the events of the Francke Foundations and their partners, it is involved in the events on the foundation's premises in a variety of ways. It adopts the idea of the educational cosmos of the Francke Foundations and is an inspiring book place for children, parents and grandparents, for students, scientists or simply the curious.
SAVE THE DATE:
On February 19, 2020 at 6:00 pm, we will introduce North America in the 18th century through the eyes of Halle's pastors in the bookstore.
You are most welcome!