The present Faculty of Theology comprises a total of ten academic chairs. The faculty is based in House 30, the former Paper Warehouse (Papiermagazin), which was renovated and enlarged by means of an extension. The Institute for Biblical Studies is situated in the former Old Girls’ House (House 25) Mägdeleinhaus, which has been fully restored. The Faculty Library (Zweigbibliothek) for Education and Theology is located in the Hans Ahrbeck House (House 31).
Reading theology at the Martin Luther University Halle-Wittenberg means studying at one of Germany’s most prestigious universities. Martin Luther and his fellow campaigners prepared the Reformation at the University of Wittenberg, founded by Frederick the Wise, Elector of Saxony, in 1502. Pietism and Enlightenment met and interlocked at the Reform University of Halle, founded by Frederick III, Elector of Brandenburg, in 1694. Both universities were united in 1817.